Cats and cat owners have rejoiced in the growing market for cat clothing and accessories. The plethora of fashionable outfits and customizable accessories on the market gives cat owners plenty of agency in dressing up their cats to their satisfaction. However, some of these outfits and accessories can break your budget, which may lead you to explore some DIY options.
To make DIY clothing and accessories for your cat, you may use common materials found at home, such as cloth, felt, or yarn, or modify your existing clothing. More complex outfits and accessories may require additional materials.
There are endless possibilities for how you can dress your cat in DIY cat clothing and accessories. There are also plenty of functional cat outfits, so your cat can feel comfortable while also feeling fabulous. Keep reading to learn more about how to make various outfits and accessories for your cat, as well as which outfits and accessories are best suited for your cat.
How to Make a Cat Sweater
One of the most functional – and fashionable – items of clothing for your fancy feline is a cozy sweater. A cozy sweater is a perfect thing to make for your cat, especially during the wintertime in colder regions of the world. Fortunately, it is also a pretty simple item of clothing to make using simple household items.
To make a DIY cat sweater, you will need the following materials:
- Old Sweatshirt
- Tape Measure
There are also several other materials you can use to spruce up the look of your cozy cat sweater, although all these materials are not necessary. Here is a list of materials you can use to customize the look of your cozy cat sweater:
- Water Soluble Pen
- Extra Fabric
Once you have the necessary materials to create a coy sweater for your cat, you can begin to assemble the article of clothing.
Here is a list of the steps you will take to make your cat their very own cozy sweater:
- First, you should use the tape measure to take measurements of your cat. You should measure your cat’s length from the base of their neck to their back legs. You should also measure the length from your cat’s neck to their front shoulders, then the length from their front shoulders to back shoulders, and their legs’ circumference at the widest point.
- Then, lay out your old sweatshirt and apply the same measurement to one of the sweatshirt sleeves.
- Use the scissors to cut off as much of the sleeve as your cat will require.
- Then, positioning the fitted end of the sleeve as the front and the cut end of the sleeve as the back, apply the measurements of the length of your cat’s neck to their shoulders and their front shoulders to back shoulders to cut leg holes for your feline friend.
- Use the circumference measurements of the widest point of each of your cat’s arms to complete this step.
- Finally, slip your finished creation onto your cat, with the cut end of the sleeve by its tail and the fitted end by its neck. If it fits, you have completed all the necessary steps to making your cat their very own sweater!
Now, if you would like to add a little bit of flair to your cat’s cozy sweater, you may choose to include designs or even functional additions to your DIY project. These additions can include embroidery, lace trim, or even a zippered pocket for your cat to store their secret catnip stash. You can use the supplementary materials listed above to create any of these additions.
How to Make a Cat Onesie
Using a similar procedure tomaking a cozy cat sweater, but slightly different materials, you can also make a more form-fitting onesie for your cat. This method works particularly well for smaller cats and kittens, as a sweater sleeve may wear a little baggy on them.
While the procedure is pretty similar, making a onesie requires slightly different materials than those for a sweater. Here is a list of the materials that you will need to make your very own cat onesie:
- Knee-High Socks
- Tape measure
Once you have gathered all of the necessary materials, you can begin assembling the article of clothing. Here is a list of all of the steps you will need to follow to create your own cat onesie:
- First, lay out your knee-high sock so that it is flat with the heel facing up. To visualize the final product, the heel should be where your cat’s chest will be.
- Then, fold the toe end of the sock in half along the sock’s natural fold so that the two halves are facing up.
- Cut a crescent shape into the folded end of your sock, creating two identical holes on either side of the sock, which will serve as the leg holes for your cat.
- Then, trim off the middle of the toe end of your sock, creating a tail hole for your cat.
- Now, you should begin taking measurements of your cat. Measure the length from your cat’s neck to their hind legs, then measure the distance between their front and hind legs.
- Then, fold the entirety of the sock and make another crescent-shaped cut the same distance away from the first cut as the distance between your cat’s front and hind legs. This new cut will result in two circles of equal size, which will serve as the front leg holes for your cat.
- Then, cut off as much of the top of the sock as is necessary for your cat to fit comfortably. This means the sock should cover the cat from the bottom of its neck to the beginning of its tail.
- Finally, slip this onesie onto your cat and, if it fits, you have successfully made a DIY onesie for your cat!
Once you have completed all of these steps, you may wish to customize your cat’s onesie to help it reflect your cat’s personality. You may use any of the additions listed in the previous section. However, it is worth considering the onesie’s tightness before attempting any rigorous sewing projects, particularly those involving pins or zippers.
How to Make a Cat Hoodie
While the previous two DIY cat clothing projects were fairly straightforward, this next DIY project requires a little more creativity and slightly more materials. If you live in a frigid region, your cat may require a winter coat or hoodie to help stave off the winter chill. Fortunately, there are plenty of tutorials for DIY cat hoodies available online.
Before we get into the step-by-step process of how to make your very own DIY cat hoodie, let’s take a look at the list of materials that are necessary to complete this project:
- Sewing Machine
- Tape Measure
- Fabric (Polyester or Cotton work best)
- Polyester Fiber Fill
Once you have collected all of these materials, you can begin assembling your cat’s winter coat. Here is a list of all the steps you should follow to do so:
- First, take measurements of your cat. You should get exact measurements of your cat’s neck length, the length of your cat’s body from neck to hind legs, and the distance between your cat’s front and hind legs. For measuring out the size of the hood, you can simply drape a piece of fabric over your cat’s head to get a rough estimate as to its size.
- Then, begin cutting the fabric to create the hood. You should cut two pieces to serve as the inner lining and two pieces for the outer layer.
- Use the sewing machine to sew together the two inner lining pieces. Then, sew the outer layers together before sewing the outer layer onto the inner lining pieces. This should form the hood.
- Then, cut two pieces to serve as the coat’s body, an inner lining piece and an outer layer piece. At the end of the piece, cut out a lip on either side to make two jutting flaps.
- Sew together these two pieces but leave the underside (belly side) of the body piece open.
- Sew together the underside, apart from two side openings, which will serve as the leg holes for your cat.
- Then, sew the hood onto the body piece.
- Attach the Velcro onto the two jutting flaps on your body piece. This will form a neck strap that will help keep the hood secure on your cat.
- Finally, see if the finished product fits onto your cat. If it does, then you have completed your very own DIY cat hoodie!
As is the case with any of the articles of clothing listed in this article, you are free to add any additional decorations to your finished product. However, it is crucial to consider the comfort of your cat before doing so.
How to Make a Cat Scarf
While most of the DIY projects listed in this article have been an equal mix of functional and fashionable, you may simply be looking to dress your feline friend to the nines while disregarding functionality. The following few DIY projects are the projects for you.
First, let’s take a look at a popular adornment that will turn your cat from a regular Joe into a Hamptons hottie. Many cat owners are bestowing their cat companions with scarves, some even creating their own. Making your very own cat scarf is quite simple and only requires a few steps and materials.
Let’s take a look at the materials that you will need to create a scarf for your cat:
- Fabric (Colorful, fleecy fabrics will work best)
- Knitting Needles
- Elastic Thread
- Tape Measure
Once you have assembled the necessary materials, you may begin constructing your very own DIY cat scarf.
Here is a list of the steps you will need to follow to build a cat scarf properly:
- First, measure out the length of your cat’s neck. You can do this by looselywrapping a string around your cat’s neck, then laying out the string flat and measuring its length with a tape measure.
- Then, using this measurement, cut out a marginally greater length (1 to 2 inches) of whichever fabric you end up choosing to use. Colorful, fleecy fabrics tend to give the best results. Your fabric should also have holes through which the elastic can be thread.
- Thread the elastic through these holes and then tie the fabric in a knot.
- Then, begin knitting the elastic thread into the fabric at each hole it has been thread into.
- Once you have completed the knitting process, try putting the scarf onto your cat. If it fits, you have completed your cat’s scarf!
Although the elastic will help the scarf fit onto your cat’s neck, your cat may or may not enjoy an additional piece of fabric draped around its neck. This is why it is essential to get the measurements right and choose fabrics that will be more comfortable for your cat. Thus, fleecy fabrics often make excellent fabric for cat scarves.
How to Make a Cat Tie
Now, let’s consider another fancy accessory one may wear around their neck. As sophisticated and debonair as a human looks in a tie, just imagine how suave a cat would look in one. Well, imagine no further as there are plenty of DIY tutorials for making your cat their very own tie. Let’s take a look at the steps and materials needed to complete such a DIY project.
First, let’s look over the necessary materials for completing a tie suited for a cat:
- White Fabric
- Colored Fabric
- Hook-and-loop closure
- Sewing Machine
- Fusible Interfacing or another Iron-on Adhesive
Once you have gathered the necessary materials, you can then begin assembling them into your very own DIY cat tie:
- First, cut out several pieces of white fabric, which you will use to create a fake shirt collar. There should be a piece long enough to wrap around the neck of your cat comfortably.
- Then, cut out several pieces of the colored fabric which you will use to create the tie.
- Apply the fusible interfacing to one of the collar pieces and stack the other on top of it with their right sides lined up together. Use pins to hold them in place.
- Then, starting on the inside of the collar, sew around the collar using quarter-inch seams.
- Then, iron the collar from the outside, folding the collar edges down to make it look more like an actual shirt.
- Tie the tie into a knot and leave a half-inch available for inserting into the collar.
- Insert the tie into the area between the collar edges and begin sewing the tie into position.
- Finally, sew the hook-and-loop closure onto the edges of the collar. If it all fits, you have completed your very own DIY cat tie!
This is a slightly more complex DIY project than those previously listed in this article, so be sure to follow the instructions as precisely as you can.
How to Make a Cat Bow Tie
It stands to reason that if you enjoy the classiness and sophistication that a tie gives your cat, then you would similarly enjoy the elegance and bravado that a bow tie would give your cat. Fortunately, there are plenty of DIY cat bow tie tutorials available.
Let’s take a look at some of the materials you would need to complete such a project:
- Sewing Machine
Once you have collected all of the necessary materials, you are ready to begin constructing a bow tie for your cat. Here is a list of all the steps you should follow to do so:
- Cut out four fabric pieces, one at 2 by 5 inches, one at 1.75 by 12 inches, and two at 2.5 by 3.5 inches. These pieces will serve as the foundation for your bow tie.
- Sew the two equally sized pieces together, forming the bow.
- Then, sew the other two pieces together to form the collar.
- Sew the bow onto the collar.
- Then, add Velcro to the ends of the collar so that it can be easily attached and removed.
- If you have completed all of these steps and the bow tie fits, then you have completed your very own DIY cat bow tie!
By the end of this article, you should know a bit more about how to make various outfits and accessories for your cat, as well as which outfits and accessories are best suited for your cat. Ultimately, you will not know how your cat will react to the outfit or accessories until they try them on themselves.
Still, once your feline friend sees the functional and fashionable benefits of wearing your stylishly crafted outfits, they are sure to adore them.
The information contained above is provided for information purposes only. The contents of this Blog article are not intended to amount to advice, and you should not rely on any of the contents of this Blog article. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from taking any action as a result of the contents of this Blog article. VesteForPets.com disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on any of the contents of this Blog article.
These works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. We grant to you a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, revocable licence to view these works, to copy and store these works and to print pages of these works for your own personal and non-commercial use. You may not reproduce in any format any part of the works without our prior written consent.
Copyright © 2022 Veste For Pets